The post-Celtic Tiger financial district rises high above the River Liffey
where the Dublin docklands once bustled with commercial activity. Today these
multinational corporations represent an important part of the Irish economy,
just as the docklands did in early Irish history. PwC Dublin claims a stake on the modern quay
where voices from the 1916 rising still echo in a nation deeply rooted in rich
cultural heritage. My week in Ireland has launched me into preparing for
business in a global economy. As my clients start to look across borders and
overseas, I am ready to support their international business needs with a global
network inside the world’s leading professional services firm.
Upon arriving in Dublin, I drove through Merrion Square past Leinster
House (the national parliament of Ireland) and discovered a bustling maritime
town with classic Georgian architecture and brightly colored doors. Gold-lettered
pubs below red brick buildings shared traditional Irish folk and cotemporary
sounds. Beyond the Samuel Bridge and further across South Dublin, I found Dublin
Castle—a strong reminder of 1922 when the Republic became a ruling reality. I
took a stroll down the lively Grafton Street where modern designers and street
performers entertained locals and tourists alike. I wandered through the long
corridor of the Old Trinity College Library that houses the oldest and most
well-preserved illuminated manuscript of our time: the Book of Kells. I
appreciated one of Ireland’s most famous collections of private contemporary
Irish paintings housed at the traditional Merrion hotel. I visited the National
Museum of Archeology where shriveled and leathery bodies of Ireland’s early
Celtic ancestors preserved by the acidic, oxygenless, and cool environment of
peat bogs can be seen on display. A
historical tour of the old Kilmainham Gaol (Jail) taught of Irish political
heroes who had been imprisoned or executed there under British colonial rule. I
visited the breathtaking Cliffs of Moher on the Western Irish coast. I also
visited Galway, an old Irish seaport, where the horse races were on that
weekend and woman flocked the streets in ornate portrait hats and fascinators.
On the last day of my experience, I had the opportunity to address the
Irish Interns at their final internship competition. As I stood on the seventh
floor, with a beautiful view of the harbor beneath, I felt Irish. “Everyone is
Irish if you go back in their history far enough,” said a manager on my team.
But if you can’t seem to find your Irish heritage on paper, the people will
accept you just as you are--that’s the Irish way.
No comments:
Post a Comment