Monday, September 19, 2011

Word Wise

Sometimes I forget power of words.  Words eloquent spoken or carefully organized on a page can change lives.  How could I forget this?  I was reminded of this in a 1922 letter from Heber J. Grant.  The letter's ivory color, though browned by the passage of time, gives me a glimpse of this prophet’s heart and the ink impacts my soul just as it surely did the recipient's on New Year's Day when it was received.  The letter's penmanship is perfect.  For a man that struggled with writing legibly, this is impressive.  "The man without excuses" was coined to describe his tenacity.  President Grant was ridiculed about sloppy penmanship early in his life, but he wanted to become a bookmaker, so he simply practiced.  I have no trouble reading his letter.

 But speaking and writing aren't the only ways to communicate and use words.  Just ask Ashley Fiolek.  In motocross, a sport dominated by loud bikes, Ashley hears silence.  When she makes it to the podium (yes, when ... not if) she signs "thank you" to her respective sponsors.  Can you imagine shifting or finding neutral, when you can only feel the vibrations of the bike?

This life is not so much about what you are given, but what you do with what you are given.  Everytime I hear about an individual who has beat the odds, I smile.  Don’t let anyone ever tell you can do something.  Your words can comfort, uplift, and share, so chose them wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment